Updating this blog is my new year's resolution, internet.
That is, I am going to be a year older very soon, and I feel like this is a good time to try and do the things I love more. i.e. Blogging, reading, blogging about reading, and eating copious amounts of chocolate.
So here I am - back on the blog train (and clinging on for dear life) - and here is how I started writing!
Above and beyond all other things, I am a fangirl.
If you take books out of the equation, I am quite un-extraordinary. My earliest memories are of reading - or being read to, if you go back far enough. I've spent the best part of my 21 years on Earth cultivating a love bordering on obsessional of books, Disney, and all forms of fiction. I worked my way through my childhood bookcase, and when I ran out of stories I began to write my own.
I grew, and with me grew my love of books. The Hobbit. Enid Blyton's School Stories. The infamous series that changed my life and helped shape me into who I am today: Harry Potter.
At first, my stories were fairies on garden paths, wizards and witches in far off lands. And then - without knowing it - at the age of 8 I began to write fanfiction. I didn't know that was what I was doing at the time; I only knew that I wanted more for my favourite characters, and the only way to get more way to write.
For years I emulated other writers, delving into their worlds and pulling their characters into my own. I was always writing original fiction on the side, but it was fanfiction that helped me find my voice. Since then, I've left my fanfic roots behind a little - though that's not to say that I don't still read it - with a view of pursuing my original fiction.
And here I am: 21 years old and about to graduate from university, still not entirely sure how live is supposed to work, but writing harder and faster than ever before.
Above and beyond all other things, I am a fangirl. But now, I'm a fan of my own work, too.
Thanks for reading, Bookies! What's your history with reading/writing? Let me know in the comments!
xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment